A manual to conduct IBII tests
This document attempts to transfer the technology of the Image-Based Inertial Impact (IBII) test to external laboratories. It contains all implementation details: the design and commissioning of the gas gun, triggering and imaging, and data analysis. Extensive data are provided with the report, including the blueprints of the gas gun and Matlab programmes to process the recorded images to extract material properties.
Fletcher L., Van Blitterswyk J., Pierron F., A manual for conducting Image-Based Inertial Impact (IBII) tests, Internal report, University of Southampton, 2019. DOI: 10.5258/SOTON/P0015.
Presented at the BSSM workshop on high strain rate testing of materials, July 9th 2019 at the University of Warwick
Presented at the BSSM 2019 conference by Jared Van Blitterswyk, September 10th 2019 in Belfast
Presentation based on the BSSM 2015 Measurement lecture
- Pierron F., Fletcher L., Generalized stress-strain curves for IBII tests on isotropic and orthotropic materials, Journal of Dynamic Behaviour of Materials, vol. 5, n° 2, pp. 180-193, 2019. DOI: 10.1007/s40870-019-00197-9. Open access.
- Fletcher L., Van Blitterswyk J., Pierron F., A novel image-based inertial impact (IBII) test for the transverse properties of composites at high strain rates, Journal of Dynamic Behaviour of Materials, vol. 5, n° 1, pp. 65-92, 2019. DOI: 10.1007/s40870-019-00186-y. Open access.
- Van Blitterswyk J., Fletcher L., Pierron F., Image-based inertial impact test for composite interlaminar tensile properties, Journal of the Dynamic Behaviour of Materials, vol. 4, n° 4, pp. 543-572, 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s40870-018-0175-1. Open access.
- Fletcher L., Pierron F., An image-based impact test for the high strain rate properties of tungsten carbide cermets, Journal of the Dynamic Behaviour of Materials, vol. 4, n° 4, pp. 481-504, 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s40870-018-0172-4. Open access.
- Pierron F., Zhu H., Siviour C., Beyond Hopkinson’s bar, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 372, n° 2023, pp. 20130195, 2014. DOI: 10.1098/rsta.2013.0195